Monday, July 03, 2006

Links you can't barbecue but are equally as tasty

The sweet hot days of summer are here and while others in the pantry neighborhood spend their time sipping iced tea on their beautifully decorated porches and preening their lush gardens, my thoughts turn to work. Lots and lots of it. I mean, who doesn't love to be holed up at a desk doing paperwork while the bees are buzzing, the birds are singing and the barbecues are a burnin'? If you're trapped like me and can't stand the idea that you missed the peak of peony blooms without a single sniff I'd like to offer you some consolation. Here are a few great reads to take your mind off of the agony while confined to your air conditioned hell-box:

McSweeney's Quarterly Concern is a gorgeous little journal of which every issue is always beautifully bound, always entertaining and almost always on paper so if you're reading it at your desk you'll always look like your not working. For desk-bound shut-ins like myself, they've blessed us with McSweeney's Internet Tendency. The pages are not flashy enough to catch the eye of the inevidable passing nosey coworker, the font is small enough to read on the down-low and it is blissfully devoid of any annoying roll over noises. Of particular interest to the pantry are the Reviews of New Food. The piece on the Theraflu Hot Toddy by Lily Valentine is particularly funny (read: disconcerting) as is the article on Quince by Joel R. McConvey. Their non-food related fare is equally hilarious. A sweet find. Read it.

Another little treasure I'm quite fond of is The Sneeze. It's run by one very hilarious guy with a whole lot of very hilarious things to say. He kept me up until the wee hours the other night, laughing my ass off. Of note is his Steve, Don't Eat That project. I won't say anymore except that I never knew that my dog's "Beggin' Strips" don't actually taste like bacon. Good to know.

And if you work at home, in a sound proof room or wearing headphones you'll want to check out the Gastrologica blog and podcast or their uncut version Playing with Fire. They dole out a lot of great information with a lot of very loud bleeps or cussing. I prefer the latter. Listen with caution.

Well, I'd better get back to work myself.
Bon Appetite!

Thanks to neue & aktuelle seiten for their great pic.

1 comment:

Dumpling said...

Thanks Pantagruelia for always giving me wonderful new ways to take health breaks (read: waste time and giggle) while working hard on my thesis (read: renaming files and entering random articles into my bibliography program) at my desk (read: in the fridge). You are the best!