Monday, August 28, 2006



After a summer of very long work days and not nearly enough fun, I'm feeling a bit pooped but ready have my life back again. In the spirit of exhaustion and exile, I thought I'd share with you, my most favorite Japanese trademark character... Kogepan, the burnt red bean bun. As the story goes, Kogepan fell into the back of the oven at his home bakery and became horribly burnt and injured. He then fell into an awful depression, went on a cigarette and milk "as beer" bender, and had his eyes "grow white from disillusionment." He returned to the bakery to become a self righteous, cranky, morose but awfully cute little character who sports a perpetual puff of smoke rising from a rather painful looking gash on his head so deep it exposes his little red bean brain. What's not to love?

There are several Kogepan sites out there, illustrated story books written in Japanese (that I unfortunately can't read) and a wide variety of Kogean merchandise for us novelty junkies available at your local asian toy and stationary shop. His complete biography and a list of his pals is available here

No comments: