Friday, March 07, 2008

The Tube Age Commeth

Looking back on my childhood, I realize that I have always been fond of food in tubes. My first love was the Kisko freezie (blue food? Yum!); then came the strangely unrefrigerated beef pepperettes available on the counter of my local convenience store; and of course, the grocery store squeeze cheese my grandmother would buy when we were expecting company (much to my grandma's dismay, I often sucked the cheese directly from the star shaped nozzle while sitting in the back seat of the car on the way home... ahh, those were the days); and my most recent tubed infatuation, sweetened condensed milk in a tube which came to me via a friend who had just returned from France with the stuff (oh, the French and their love of lipids).

With my affinity for food oddity, food in tubes, and my regular exposure to kids at lunchtime, I'm consistently mesmerized by (and at times jealous of) the variety of convenience foods marketed to kids in tube form... that is, until I saw this:



Despite how disgusting it looks, I'm sure I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to try at least ONE.

Ah, the lure of the tube.

No comments: